Ads 468x60px

Monday, June 18, 2012

End of Year Surprise!

I hate deadlines.

Did you ever get that feeling of resentment when the school year almost ends, but it's dragging...slower...and slower until your brain is about to explode? (Or maybe that's just me because my brain was literally on the brink of exploding after I crashed headfirst onto our hardwood living room floor from failing to pick up my pencil...while doing a bridge...)

Colleges let out way back in May and I was only just invited to the CTY award ceremony. Now I've just learned that it's a year away, so my hopes haven't gone up at all.  I mean, now I've got to wait for all of my favorite book releases (The Mark of Athena, The Last Guardian, Shadows Alive, etc.), the Pikmin game for Xbox (don't ask), and the invitation (coming in August) for a ceremony that won't even be taking place until spring of 2013. If the world does end, that would mean that I'd never even get my hands on that hard-earned award. T.T Then again, it's already tomorrow in Australia, and they're still alive...so that would mean the world would technically never end today for us. It will always end tomorrow. But the question is - which tomorrow will it end on? I mean, psychologists can never get around the fact that they have no idea where this "end of world" mumbo jumbo came from, let alone find out its effects on the human psyche. Luckily, I have other things to occupy myself with, at least for the time being.

I've recently founded an after-school club at my school where we "learn about Life, the Universe, and Everything and hopefully eat pie." That's how it's introduced, but the real reason of the club's about as murky as its name: AA. I was hoping that things might clear up, but so far it's just a study group for things that matter - like Life, the Universe, and Everything. Meetings will probably be starting around September, so I'm really excited!

All stuff aside, I've finished a lot of my teachers' end-of-year gifts. The Student Council recently decided that they weren't going to throw their party after all, so all the favors are being collected for a random surprise party thrown for my awesome Honors English Teacher (who happens to not be allowed to bring in cookies, hence the "surprise" aspect.) I'm donating lemon cookies! Seriously, who doesn't love lemons?
As for my social studies teacher, she's been keeping this really neat collection of stuffed animals recently and I decided to use my talent to make her possibly the best stuffed animal in the history of stuffed animal-ness: The Little Squishy Green Bird from RIO!!!

Remember that guy who was squeezed twice by Nigel before telling him that he was "smart...and handsome?"

I've got him live and in flesh!

Grr... Feel my squishy wrath, scrawny humans

Okay...maybe not so much in flesh.

I've also taken about four hours of my time to sketch these beautiful birds (red-bellied woodpecker and Carolina Chickadee) for my science and math teachers, respectively. They've actually been pretty awesome this year, and even though they gave me pretty low marks considering all the work I put in (totally true) and all of my internal awesomeness that should've blinded them alive, but merely scorched the tips of their manes, I've decided that they needed something in reward. Aren't the birdies positively adorable-sauce?

I kind of felt bad about my art teacher and tech ed teacher, though. I mean, they were probably the heads of the classrooms I spent the most time in, especially during the month of March (when TSA, Science Olympiad, Art Show, and all of those competitions came rushing in. Now that I think about it, I am some sort of workaholic. Luckily, my nerd friends are too, so there's no difference there.) I was about to prepare something for them, but excuses never did work and I'll leave you hanging as to the exacts details of my epic procrastination.

I did, however, get nominated for the NJHS (National Junior Honor Society) at our school! The only problem is the application process, which involves a random assortment of paperwork, essays, recommendations, leadership brownie points, and community service hours. I am somewhat lacking in both my leadership and community service, so I'm probably not going to having too much fun this summer. Help me!

Did I also mention that one of my super amazing friends is already set for life? Not only is she a treasurer of a gifted-education society, but she's also a project manager for a recital, a stage director for a piano club, a volunteer gardener and tutor, a Builder's Club officer, a XC team captain (or at least team captain in training), and a church assistant. She's probably going to become a Westinghouse/Rhodes scholar and rule the universe one day. With kitties.

But I've also acquired some brownie points for myself recently. I'm really excited about this, because my CTYOnline course was actually finished in four weeks! It's a little longer than the kids who spend approximately 6 hours a day on their course, finishing a yearlong course in a measly 3 weeks, but I'm still pretty proud to be able to skip an entire grade (even if it's just in math)! Plus, if I decide to go to a specialized science academy, I'll have an extra excuse to take college courses in my senior year! Fun! (Come on now. Challenge my definition of fun, you Neanderthals :D)

Oh, and for an end-of-year special, here's a slightly modified approach to one of the "difficult" questions from my Honors Geometry course (despite the rumors of me becoming a patent attorney, I am still not quite an expert in the area of copyright law and for the meantime will abide by the liberties Creative Commons allows me.)


Is it possible to have four non coplanar points, three of which are collinear?

Answers in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Total Hits